10 February 2014

Potato pancakes

 
potato_pancakes

I love pancakes especially for its versatility as it can be savored in so many ways . Needless to mention,nowadays I am hooked to varieties of pancakes .They always grace my breakfast session yummily and with utmost satisfaction . Lately I came across this potato pancake in an old Woman's day magazine and I knew I had to try it because we are also a big fan of potatoes .So,I knew a pancake made with potatoes was gonna be really delish and filling and when it is red potato with a few colorful vegetables mixed in it is gonna be quite healthy as well...So,another healthy breakfast in my daily menu nowadays ....

Potato Pancake 

Ingredients

Red potatoes ,medium - 3-4 nos.
Onion,large - 1 nos.
Eggs- 1-2 nos.
Salt to taste
All purpose flour - 1/2 cup
Mixed vegetables (Carrots,peas,corns,beans),boiled and mashed to paste - 1/4 cup (Optional)
Pepper to taste
All spice - 1/4 teaspoon (optional)
Oil to fry

Method:


  • In a large bowl,whisk together the eggs,salt and pepper and keep it aside.
  • Using a box grater,grate the potatoes and onion together and mix it to the above egg mixture and combine everything well.
  • To the above mixture, also add the mixed vegetable paste and all spice .
  • Finally add the flour to it and make it into a thick batter.
  • Heat about two tablespoons of oil in a pan /skillet,pour couple of ladles of batter into it and spread the batter with the back of the spoon to create even pancakes.
  • Cook until browned 4-6 minutes per side and transfer them to the plate.
  • Repeat with the rest batter.
  • Serve hot with Applesauce or sour cream (most recommended) or my way,ketchup on the side.
Note :
  • Any potato can be used and just to make it extra healthy I added the mixed vegetable paste(boil the veges,mash it and grind it into paste) so it's strictly optional.
  •  I used all spice to make it more flavorful .
  • Complete the batter ASAP as it turns black because of the oxidation.So,it can't be used for next day or so.
potato_pancakes


 Eat,love,live well,