12 January 2014

Pacha Manga Chamanthi|Raw Mango Dry chutney|A kerala speciality


manga-chamanthi


 “In character, in manner, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I totally second the above saying and if you ask me "In food?" ,I will say for me it is Chamanthi ,the dry solid version of Kerala special chutney because it is so easy and quick to make with just the handful of ingredients easily available at home that it's whiff itself is whimsical ,look the simplest,the taste purely Homely that it won't leave you a reason not to admire or taste it even a bit (Provided you admire simplicity though)!!!

There are infact different kinds of so called chamanthis ,two kinds to be specific - a liquid version which is enjoyed with dosa,idli especially and then there is the dry solid version savored with mostly rice gruel/Kanji or with steamed rice especially.This post is dedicated to the dry version -the sourness of the raw mango,the exotic grated coconut,spiced up with red chilly, the juices of shallots,the pungentness of curry leaves pounded all together in a special kind of grinding stone ,Ammikallu traditionally or in the small jar of a mixer-grinder into a thick waterless coarse mixture.

manga-chamanthi
 This simple dish is quite nostalgic to me in many ways .I remember how my mom would prepare this at times and she used to serve it with hot rice,thick home made curd/yogurt on the side,spicy home made pickle ,crunchy thorans/side dish,and straight from the pan -fried fish and to top it ,when I was small, mom used to make balls of rice and everything above and feed myself and my bro . Well..the simplest humblest food served with those hardworking hands and heart full of immense pure love,by the most important person of our life,"Mother"..Well..I don't have the exact word/words to describe how simply irresistible it was or it is (believe me or not my mom wouldn't mind feeding like that even now and my dil always maangey more & more)...this dish and the memories tangled are not something heavenly ,it is purely homely......

Pothichoru
 My other memories are of my classmates ,when I joined a college in Kerala for a while and a few of my classmates used to bring a completely organic lunch,"Pothichoru" -the food/menu more or less similar to the above, wrapped specially in Banana leaves and though it would'nt appear that appealing by outside ,when they opened it,SIGHHHH !!!...that mere whiff can knock me dead on the spot...I don't know there was/is something -should I call it something magical or earthy about those humble Banana leaves..I don't know!!...mere wrapping those foods into them it's like as if those leaves are saying - You are in good hands (Like the All state insurance ad. here in US..haha) !! and undoubtedly they are.....


Similarly, whenever we used to travel in train ,our mom-made lunch used to be something similar...travelling away from home stop by stop but that taste will transport right back immediately....Well,that's why I say...IT IS PURELY HOMELY......


Pacha Manga Chamanthi

Ingredients

Raw Mango ,small ,peeled and diced/chopped - 1/2-3/4 cup
Grated coconut - 1 cup
Shallots - 1-2 nos.
Dry Red chilli - 4-5
Red chilli powder - 1 -2 teaspoon
Curry leaves -2-3 nos.
Salt to taste

Method:


  • In a small jar of the mixer or on the grinding stone ,grind all the ingredients together until combined and into a slighlty coarse thick paste which can be shaped into a ball.
  • That's it Manga chamanthi is ready.
  • Serve it with hot kanji/rice gruel or boiled rice.
Note:
  • Add or reduce the mango as per the sourness preferred.Similarly ,add or reduce the red chillies or red chilli powder as per the spiciness  preferred.Red chilli powder also gives it the good tint of Orange-ish color.
  • Instead of red chillies ,you can also use green chillies.
  • If the mixer is not able to grind everything properly add a few drops of water for smooth grinding. 
 Eat,Love,Live well,