31 December 2013

Cranberry Wine

cranberry_wine

Happy Happy New year ,good bye good bye old year...this is a quite famous song..everyone might have heard ..right?? No?...hmm actually you are right ...because only I am familiar with this song because the lyrics are composed and sung by the Elvis Presley of my house ,Mr.Honey P ...Yepp every year end he would sing this song and I would run looking for cotton buds ASAP ...it's that melodious ..:P

cranberry_wine

Hmm,so hardly a day is left for the new year to start,for new beginnings,for new resolutions,for a fresh start in every way hoping and praying that this year everything will work out in our favor ,...and to bid good bye to this year to forget what we went through especially all hardships were just nightmares that hopefully won't happen again and to cherish all good memories and hoping them to continue forever.

cranberry_wine

My 2013 was not that good ..more downs than ups...don't know why God thinks that I can face anything and everything ,he has got faith on me more than I've on him now.But I wish he didn't trust me that much. But then as my mom would say ,"Always count blessings not your troubles." and when you compare yourself don't compare it to people who are superior to you in every way but to the ones who are inferior or are helpless than you.Then you'll realize how blessed you are STILL.I guess that keeps me on the right and strong perspective always.

cranberry_wine

Hope 2014 will be awesome !!

When there is plenty of wine, sorrow and worry take wing.” ― Ovid, The Art of Love

So,sometimes, year end ,usually, I end up making wine ...Hoping my sorrows and worries will take wing ..hehe:P ...

cranberry_wine

That being said I am certainly not a wine person ...I only drink home made wines not the store ones but then my hubby loves it and he would always emphasize what Louis Pasteur said once, "Wine is the most healthful and most hygienic of beverages.”

Well,I don't disagree either but with an exception to be remembered that "Moderation is the key." 

So this time I tried making cranberry wine .Last year it was Gooseberry wine .My aunt is a great wine maker.I got inspired by her recipe.This is how I made it.

 Cranberry Wine

Ingredients

Cranberry ,organic, dry - 255 gram
Sugar - 1 1/2 kg
Water - 1 liter
Cranberry tea bag - 1 no.(optional)
Champagne Yeast or Activated dry yeast- 1/4 teaspoon

Method:

  • Wash the cranberries well and allow them to dry .
  • Meanwhile boil water in a clean dry pan and add sugar into it.Let it boil until all sugar dissolves completely.
  • Allow it to cool a bit.When it is still lukewarm add the cranberries & the cranberry tea bags into it.
  • To this add champagne/wine yeast and stir well with a sanitized and dry wooden spoon or ladle.
  • Put everything into a porcelain or glass jar (DRY & SANITIZED) and keep it aside for five minutes.
  • After 5 minutes , close the lid tight and store it in a cool ,dry ,quite place for fermentation for 3 weeks approx.
  • Every day or every alternate days ,stir everything with a DRY WOODEN SPOON and mash the cranberries with the spoon too.
  • Once the sweetness of the wine is lessened to almost none,strain them using a cheese/muslin cloth into a dry sanitized bottle.Put the tea bag into it.Keep them aside for another 2 weeks undisturbed.
  • After two weeks again strain them using the cheese/muslin cloth into a clean dry sanitized bottle preferably with cork tops or airtight tops/lid.
  • It yields 1 liter or little more of cranberry wine. 
  • Cheers !!! Cranberry wine is ready !!
Note:
  •  The more time it ages,more flavorful wine it'll.
  • Always use clean,dry and sanitized ceramic or glass bottles and wooden spoons or ladles only .
  • I used the cranberry-orange tea bag for the tannin effect to make it little more astringent-e and that's why that color .It's strictly optional.
  • Use champagne yeast or wine yeast than activated dry yeast.
cranberry_wine
Cheers to a new brightful beginning ..Amen!!!
 Wishing all readers a very happy and blessed new year,loads of happiness,sorrows less ,peace,good health ,God bless.

Wish you a prosperous New Year (in advance),





Sending this to Sharanya's Let's cook for christmas