09 December 2013

Bokaro Egg Roll

 
egg_roll

There is something about the street foods right ??? I can hear all the parents out there "Like mine" screaming ,"Unhygienic".PERIOD. That's an undeniable fact I agree but then don't you think (not the parents) they somehow taste much better than even the top notch restaurant serving the same street delicacies even though in a very fancy and hygienic way. Don't know how,dont' know why but I LOVE my Indian street foods - chaats,samosas,sweets,pav bhajjis etc etc..Ohhh yummm..drooling man !! . Not sure if I am still in a denial mode (regarding the hygiene stuff) but that's what I feel .

egg_roll


During my childhood days,my parents were quite strict about those street foods , they hardly allowed us to go for them but then there was one food item they somehow gave a positive nod to - "Bokaro special Egg roll ". 

egg_roll

 Bokaro is my little paradise where I spent my wonderful childhood days and one of our main shopping center used to be in Sector 4 .Oh how I loved visting that place..ofcourse to shop,eat,chat,roam ...right from street shopping to window shopping to posh shops and it was like a danger zone for my parents because their shweet daughter ,"me" would love to buy anything and everything...at one side my dad will be telling this-that story ,examples etc to distract my attention and on the other side my mom would be giving moral lessons how kids should value money ,spend less blah blah .

egg_roll

However one day shopping with family friends there ,they were singing praise of this famous street food,the egg rolls..how tasty they are,they never fell ill etc ...somehow my dad couldn't say no to them ( my yay moment !!)..so there..I got a green signal to try those garma garam/ hot Egg rolls made with maida/all purpose flour ,eggs on it with a healthy mix of slices of crunchy onions,carrots,green chillies covered in ketchup-chilli sauce wrapped nicely in a kinda parchment paper ....the first bite I was thrown out of this world(not technically :O)) . ..lipsmacking succulent they were !!! my parents didn't complain either ( see that's what happens when my parents listen to me ..well..:P) ...no wonder there was this looong queue infront of that small portable stall and I felt like the street vendor was human less a robot more...that's how super fast his preparation and delivery used to be!!! wondering if he was our Tamil superstar,Rajnikant's relative :P


egg_roll

My mother dear got the cue that this is now going to be an unavoidable stuff I would demand every time I visit that shopping center .So,like all smarty ,protective moms :), she replicated those egg rolls at home and voila ,they tasted pretty much close and yummy..myself and my bro were quite happy with the outcome and it became our all time fave snack and now being far away from home,I pestered mom via phone to blurt the recipe ASAP :P..and rest as they say is history.....

egg_roll

Bokaro Egg roll

Ingredients

Eggs - 2 nos.
All purpose flour - 1 cup
Warm water - 1 cup
Salt to taste
Onion,sliced - 1/2 cup
Carrot,grated - 1/2 cup
Green chilli,chopped - 1 no.(optional)
Ketchup /Tomato sauce - 1 tablespoon
Green chilli sauce - 2 teaspoon
Chaat masala to sprinkle (optional)
Oil

Method:

Watch and learn with me :

 

  • Mix A.P.flour/maida,little salt and little oil well.
  • Add warm water little by little and knead until it becomes a pliable non sticky dough.
  • Make small golf shaped balls out of them and keep aside.
  • Dip them into flour and press down between palms to flatten it a bit and using a rolling pin roll them into a chapathi ,a thin ,flat disc shaped like a tortilla/large pancake.
  • Meanwhile,beat eggs well with little salt and keep it aside.
  • Heat little oil in a skillet/flat pan on medium heat and put the beaten egg ,swirl to make a large omelet.
  • Immediately place the rolled chapathi onto the omelet so that they stick together nicely.Let them cook together well.
  • Now flip them ,brush the plain side with oil and allow it to cook well.
  • Meanwhile,take a bowl add sliced onion,carrots,green chillies,salt to taste,ketchup/tomato sauce ,green chilli sauce ,sprinkle chaat masala. and mix everything well.
  • Now ,take the cooked egg-chapathi (egg side up) ,and put the above onion-carrot-sauce mix into the center .Roll and serve hot.
Usually it is served as a snack but I at times have it like my breakfast or lunch especially when I feel super lazy or busy.

It can be perfect for kids anytime as there is egg then there are a few veg slices which can be changed using other vegetables as well.Quick to make and kids are gonna love it a lot just like the adults.

The green chilli sauce and tomato sauce are the key things and must.

egg_roll
Here...4 U..Bite it .

Eat,Love,Live well,