19 November 2013

Vegetable cutlets/Patties


vegetable_cutlets

 
"My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it." ~ Manjusha...errrrr...originally quoted by none other than  ~ Mark Twain but secondarily quoted and exclusively dedicated to my childhood days!


  Crying girl <- Picture this cry babe .That's ,yours truly,"ME". That's how I was when I was little,the pickiest eater ,the princess of tantrums , daadi/granny of troublemaker , the spoiled little don/brat of my parents especially my mother and not to mention a challenge to my momma which she accepted it wholeheartedly and enjoyed it thoroughly too.Because of all these extraordinary qualities I possessed, I was also the reason that my parents went ahead with their family planning decision eventually lol ..According to them I was equivalent to 10 kids they said :D. Awwwww !!! I always took it as a compliment mom (winkie,winkie).Yayyy!! Taaaliyaan..Give'em a huge roud of applause Happy smiley face.


vegetable_cutlets
 
Jokes apart,what can I say about my mom -Just perfect she is (including the way she use to scold me n my bro)!!!  The way she prepared food everyday for me,my brother,dad as per our respective preference is something I wonder if I'll be doing the same in future for my kids .I wonder if I'll have enough patience,thoughtfulness and discipline to cook something different everyday making sure family are eating and enjoying nutritious foods and most importantly on time . That's something time will say !! However ,my mom says,"Afterall you are my daughter and where there is a will,there is always a way,you'll figure it out by yourself for sure at the right time in the right way ."!! :)...Hope so mom !!

My parents would never like to see my face down and frown and when it came to eating vegetables that's exactly what happened but moms know quite well the tips and tricks to lure their kids to have those vegetables by hook or by crook :D and making a vegetable cutlet was one of the way my mom made sure I would frown less ,smile and eat more.For these cutlets were the best foods that could hide any vegetables of your choice,little spices that gave flavour,covered with crunchy bread coating and fried to make sure everything is properly hidden and covered and finally served as a snack with loads of ketchup alongside.Now who can dare to complain ??? Nope I didn't:). There...my mom's eureka moment !!

vegetable_cutlets


So,today I've amma's vegetable cutlet recipe.Vegetable cutlets (If you didn't get it yet,a tubelight like me:P) are patties made up of mix of different vegetables especially boiled potato,carrots,peas,beans etc ,mildly spiced,coated in bread crumbs or flour and shallow or deep fried in oil .They are served as a tea time snack or even as a breakfast with buns /rolls as a vegetable burger or a light snack anytime.


Here is how I make Vegetable cutlet :

Vegetable cutlet

Ingredients

Potato,Big,boiled & mashed - 1-2 nos.
Onion,sliced lengthwise,big - 1no.
Green chilly,chopped - 1-2 nos.
Carrots,peas ,any other vegetable you like,chopped & boiled - 1 cup
Ginger-garlic paste - 1 teaspoon
Garam Masala - 1/4-1/2 teaspoon
Chilli powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
salt to taste
Bread crumbs - 1-2 cups
 Egg - 1 no.
Oil for frying

Method:

  • Heat 2 teaspoon of oil in a pan and saute sliced onion and green chilly until the onions become translucent.
  • Add ginger-garlic paste and saute until the raw smell disappears on low flame.
  • Add garam masala,chilli powder,coriander powder,turmeric powder and saute for a minute or two.
  • Add the boiled potato and saute until everything is mixed well.
  • Add salt to taste and put the stove off.
  • Allow it to cool a bit .
  • Now make small balls out of the mixture and flatten it between your hands (round,oblong or any desired shape) and keep them aside.
  • Heat oil in a pan .
  • Beat an egg .Keep it side.
  • Take each ball and dip them into the beaten egg and cover them nicely with bread crumbs.
  • Deep or shallow fry them one by one without crowding into the hot oil on medium heat until both the sides are light-dark brown.
  • Serve them hot with ketchup or mint chutney.
Note:

  1. Adjust green chilli,red chilly powder and garam masala as per your desired spiciness.
  2. Instead of egg ,use a batter of all purpose flour to dip and coat bread crumbs.
  3. Instead of bread crumbs use all purpose flour directly but the taste will differ.
Eat,Love,live well,

Sayonaaaraaaaaaaa,