26 November 2013

Beetroot rice or an UEO in my kitchen ??

 
Beetroot_rice

All you hear everywhere around is "Eat your greens !" A cliche of course and how boring !! But then there are thankfully a few of them, vegetables that are not only bursting with nutrients and multi-health benefits like greeny ones but also have vibrant eye catching colors . Some from outside and some from inside and Beetroot falls under the latter .

Beetroot

 In fact , they emphasize the saying ,"Beauty is skin deep ". Those deep pinkish hue says it all . That is exactly what makes me love this vegetable . Every time I come across these roots in the market ,I feel as if it's saying ,"Like me or hate me but you just can't ignore me". So true !!! No wonder why the Romans considered them as one of the aphrodisiac ;P.Shy Whistler

Beetroot_rice
Roses made with beetroot skin....

So,today I've an UEO/Unidentified Eating Object in my kitchen . Says who ?? .. Not me but my life partner in crime or prime , Honey P .That's the name he coined after seeing those pictures of none other than my Beetroot rice .

Beetroot_rice

After this meal preparation which is quite easy peasy and food styling which is ,I agree weird and not every can get it but at least my better smart half will I believed ...lo and behold !...The non-stop questions started gushing fast ,"OMG, is that an UFO/alien ship just landed or is that an alien, UAO/Unidentified Alien Object ???? Are those two antennas or something and I can see something triangular ???  Or is it something exclusive eaten just by the aliens ??? Can't believe my eyes I betcha , Ufologist would love to do research on that...you nailed it babes !! ...I was like Fainting....

HONEY P, THAT'S MY HUMBLE (yeah two horned which is my design actually) BEETROOT RICE .Angry Fist

Beetroot_rice


He was like Laughing smiley face...anyways,I later on proudly took it as a compliment ,"I made something extra-ordinary out of the ordinary after all"....yayyy to me !!! I cook foods not only for humans but also for aliens you know ..That's me !!!! Winking Thumbs up...hehehe :P...

After eating it though he was super happy like :))....and as they say,"All is well that ends well".


So,here goes my UEO a.k.a Beetroot rice recipe which is yet another easy ,simple and quick to make . The subtle sweetness of beets , flavorful spices and a tad of coconut milk makes it one colorful ,one of a kind pot meal of the day. It can also be a quick fix meal if you have some left over rice especially.

Beetroot rice

Ingredients

Beetroot,grated - 1 no.
Green peas - 1/2 cup
Onions,chopped - 1 cup
Green chillies,chopped - 2 no.(optional)
Ginger-garlic paste - 1 teaspoon
Tomato - 1/2 cup
Garam Masala /Shan Biryani masala powder- 1 teaspoon
Coconut milk - 1/2 cup
Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Peppercorns - 1 teaspoon
Cardamom - 2 no.
Cinnamon - 1"
Cloves - 2 no.
Bay leaf - 1 no.
 Oil/Ghee/Butter - 1-2 tablespoon
Rice - 2 cup
Water - 3 1/2 cup
Salt to taste

Method:

 

  •  Heat Oil/ghee/butter in a pressure cooker ,add cumin seeds,peppercorns,cardamom,cinnamon ,cloves and bay leaf .Saute for a minute until it becomes aromatic.
  • Add chopped onions and green chillies.Saute until onion becomes translucent.
  • Add ginger-garlic paste.Keep sauteing on low flame until the raw smell disappears.
  • Add tomato and saute until they become soft and mushy.
  • Add garam masala powder /Shan's Biryani masala and saute for a minute or two on low flame.
  • Add the grated beetroots and peas and saute for a few minutes.
  • Add the coconut milk and saute for a minute.
  • Add the rice,salt to it and stir everything together.
  • Pressure cook it for 2-3 whistles or until cooked (adjust as per your cooker's manufacturer's instructions) from high-medium-low flame.
  • Once the steam subsides in the cooker, leave it to cool.
  • After 5-10 minutes open the cooker carefully and with a fork ,fluff the rice slowly without breaking it.
  • Tadaaa,UEO is ready to go..I mean Beetroot rice is ready to eat .
  • Serve it hot with raita/yogurt sauce/dip.
Note:
  1. To balance the sweetness of the beets,I've added peppercorns ,green chillies ,peas and coconut milk.
  2. Instead of garam masala even sambar powder ,rasam powder can also be used but the taste will vary then.

Beetroot_rice

Does it really look like an UFO/UAO/UEO???