16 October 2013

Falooda Payasam/Kheer/Pudding | Happy belated Eid al-Adha wishes !

falooda_payasam

It is a wonderful month of festival it seems .A month of "Unity in diversity'" .Back in India Hindus celebrated Navarathri,Dussehra with great pomp and show and waiting for more likewise Muslims all around the world are celebrating/celebrated one of their important festival ,"Eid al-Adha" also known as "The Feast of the sacrifice" with utter devotion and celebration.



Hope all my friends who celebrate "Eid al-Adha" had a wonderful celebration with their near and dear ones.

When I read or watch news ,at times, I wish there were no religion ,all those religious tiffs , all those innocent victims,all those ruthless inhuman acts ,all those intentional adulterated version of holy books/practices which misleads all in the sheer name of religions,caste,creeds etc shakes and confuses my belief on mankind and God ..HOWEVER when it comes to these diverse festivals ,all those one of a kind foods,fun,celebration acts like a medium to bring everyone together and as we say ,festival is in the air and so it affects everyone directly or indirectly whatsoever ...the smile,happiness just becomes so contagious ...and then I somehow kinda feel good to have different religions...

falooda_vermicelli_payasam


I always witnessed this when we were in North India where one of our neighbor, Khan uncle would arrange a biig feast ,would invite everyone irrespective of religion ,language etc and the taste of that Mutton curry still lingers on my palate ...similarly in my native place,Kerala,South India ,we are surrounded with wonderful Muslim neighbours that we wouldn't have asked for better ones .Every festival brings us more closer .Every food we prepare we make sure to share a portion if not the big and the best one and make them infact a part of the celebration thereby.So,when I call my parents in India next time the festival Eid ,celebration and food will be one of the topic to talk as that day my house is flooded with tasty varieties of food from our lovely neighbours and my mom will be hardly cooking that day ...good for her :D.Rest day mommmaaaa....

vermicelli_falooda_payasam


I am someone who loves celebrating any festivals whatsoever and I wish I could celebrate all. I try my best to.So, on this beautiful occasion I made a Payasam/Kheer/Pudding out of falooda and vermicelli.Falooda is more like a dessert than a cold beverage made up of rose syrup,sugar syrup,rose milk, vermicelli, basil seeds mainly .Needless to say I am so in awe of the pink color this dessert or drink has .I love vermicelli /semiya payasam as well as it is the easiest payasam one can make .So,the color of falooda and flavor of vermicelli turned out to be a one of a kind tasty dessert .


Falooda Payasam

Ingredients

Ready made/Pre-made Falooda drink (excluding ice creams or jelly) - 1 glass
Roasted vermicelli - 1/2 cup
Whole milk  - 4 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Ghee - 2 tablespoon
Raisin (fried & plumped in ghee ) -10-15
Cashew nuts (fried in ghee) - 10-15
Cardamom powder - 1/4 teaspoon

Preparation method: 

  • Prepare the Falooda drink as per the instructions in the ready to make Falooda kit/Box and keep a glass aside.
  • Heat ghee in a pan and fry vermicelli for a minute or two.
  • Boil the milk and add the fried vermicelli to it ,reduce the flame and cook for 5-10 minutes until the vermicelli gets tender and cooked.Do stir in between so that it doesn't stick to the bottom.
  • Add the sugar (carefully as the falooda drink already has),fried raisin ,cashewnuts and cardamom powder and mix everything well.
  • Boil again and let it simmer for 5 minutes .
  • After that allow it to cool down a bit and now add the falooda drink to it and mix well.
  • Serve chilled or warm.
Note :-
  1. I used ready made roasted Vermicelli I got from Indian store ,If yours is not the roasted one fry them in a tablespoon of ghee until they get golden brown.Similarly,Ready to make Falooda mix is available in Indian/Pakistani shops as well.
  2. The raisins should be fried until they get puffed up but not burnt.
  3. If you like the thicker version simmer till everything thickens up or if you prefer the thinner version add more milk and adjust sugar as per your preference.This payasam tends to become thicker (after cooking) slowly so just add warm milk to thin it .



My small Eidi for U:)
Eid mubarak once again :)