24 September 2013

Spinach Rice

spinach_rice
I think if there is any leafy vegetable from the vegetable kingdom that screams "Go green" that should be the Spinach leaves.These green leaves are the powerhouse of multi-vitamins,minerals ,fibre,proteins,even plant derived Omega fatty acids.So nutirent rich,low in calorie and so good for health.Right from our brain,eyes,heart,stomach,blood,skin ,hair and what not it keeps tip to toe,inside out of a human body healthy and going.With its antioxidant properties it keeps the deadly cancers especially prostrate cancers in check.In short a 5 star super food it is and must have in our daily menu. Moreover, so easy and fast to cook .

spinach_superfood

Inspite of all these benefits lectured by my parents when I was little,I somehow liked it,ate it but still hate it for a very funny reason.

Since my mom is very fair and lovely lady and myself with a wheatish complexion,I often complained that I didn't get my mom's fair complexion.The main culprits were my relatives and other near and dear ones from my native place,Kerala .Whenever we visited Kerala during school vacation (from North India ) ,all my relatives at my mom's place would say ,"Oh sweety,u look like your dad cutchicoo"..some would say,"Sweety,what happened to your complexion,u look dull and dark?" and at my dad's place everyone would be like ,"Awww..she is so cute (I was kinda South Indian child actress,Baby Shalini's look alike they said) BUT not like her mom,her mom used to be more fairer than she is now ,just like a doll " . Embarrassed smiley face.Well,it's always nice to hear about my mom's beauty ,very proud :) but why do they have to compare always..In my mind it was like ,"Look who is talking,u non-fair racist ".I Hate You.Moreover, to add fuel to the fire,they would say ,"Your brother is just like your mama,very fair". Bang head on wall.You know,during childhood days small sibling rivalries,jealousy etc used to be there but not anymore though but yeah once there was and it irked me more then.Phewss... Girl says Whatever.Whatever ! Really??

spinach_rice

Nope it wasn't. I approached my parents especially mommy dearest with my heart and skin felt concern.She with her warm lovely smile that can melt anyone's heart in a second said,"My beautiful daughter ,they are just kidding and you should be proud that you look like your father,Isn't your father,a very handsome man? " 
Blushing Smile(<- mom blushing !!). I was like,"Ofcourse mom,my dad is and I am very happy to be my handsome daddy's little girl".BUT STILL !


Mom would come up with second explanation.Since your birth star (astrological stuff..phew) and Lord Krishna's star are same,look at his unique lovely complexion baby :).She would step ahead and say,"You are afterall God's fave child dear "! . That didn't sound that convincing to me and I overruled saying mom no wonder why even Lord Krishna once complained the same and we both were singing the song from the old Hindi flick,"Satyam Shivam Sundaram" ,"Yashomati maiya se bole nandalalaa,Radha kyu gori mein kyu kaala " (Lord Krishna asked hs mother ,"Why is Radha fairer than me"? ) ...to this we all Big grin.

spinach_rice


However I didnot yet forget my question ..Didn't get the root of my problem.So,I still bothered my mom.As I grew up .Thanks to Biology classes hehe ;). I asked my mom ,"Amma what exactly did you eat while carrying bhaiya/brother and me? I mean anything you ate more,unusual while you were expecting me Pancake..huh?...To which she replied,yeah her Ob/Gyn suggested her to amp up the iron level and she did !!


Guess what she ate a lot.....The culprit i believe and I blame her that made me not fair like mom and my bhai jaan..."SPINACH THE GREAT" !!! Cute Sad Smiley.

I still pull my mom's leg for the same :D .She would just laugh it off saying,"You are my Golden precious little girl". You know like "SU" nehriii from the Hindi movie ,Dhoom 2 ;D :P.
My mom would say,"Always be grateful to God for what he gave you,for you are blessed ".Keep your heart pure and white always ,for God resides there,that matters :).

Though I know that spinach might have played a tiny role because of the iron content but then there are many other factors like gene related etc that contributes to skin color,texture etc.It's still fun you know :D.All such silly teeny weeny incidents makes life more interesting and later memorable I believe.

I do eat Spinach ,I didn't give up on it .Afterall,how can I forgot my parents also taught me never to give up on anybody/anything ,value everything.

What I like the most about spinach are that they are so quick to make,kind of melts and blends fast, as a healthy juice,hot soup,an easy yummy side dish or one pot meal like the one I usually make ,The Spinach rice.

Time to wake up people.Hope you didn't sleep after reading my lifestory :D.Hellooo...wake uppp..
Here is the recipe for you :


Spinach Rice

Ingredient

Basmati Rice - 1 1/2 cup
Water- 1 1/2 cup
Salt - To taste
Cinnamon - 1' piece
Cardamom- 2 
Clove- 4
Bay leaf- 3
Ghee - 2 tablespoon

Spinach ,pureed - 1 cup
Onion,chopped - 1/2 cup
Tomato,chopped (small/medium) - 1
Green Chili - 4 nos.
Potato,cubed- 1/2 cup
Toor Dal- 1/2 cup(Optional)
Garlic minced- 2 nos.
Garam Masala powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
Coconut powder- 1/2 teaspoon(optional)


Preparation Method :

  • Heat ghee in the pressure cooker and put cumin seeds,cinnamon,cardamom,cloves ,coconut powder and Bay leaf and stir for a sec or two.
  • Add chopped onion and green chili and fry until onion becomes translucent.
  • Add minced/pressed Garlic and stir lightly until its raw smell disappears.
  • Add tomato and let it become soft and mushy.
  • Add Garam masala powder.Give a stir.
  • Add cubed potato pieces,toor dal and pureed spinach and stir for a few minutes until raw smell of spinach disappears.
  • Add the rice ,salt and water.Stir everything.


  • Pressure cook for two whistles (my cooker's cooking time,adjust yours) or until it is cooked.
  • That's it Spinach Rice/Pulao/Pilaf is ready to be served.
  • Enjoy it with a simple raita/yogurt sauce and pickle or any curry of your choice.
Note:
  1. Did you know that when you cook spinach ,it's nutrient level increases unlike other vegetables ?
  2. Always buy "ORGANIC" spinach as the other ones are laden with pesticides which don't clear out simply by washing under water.
  3. Toor Dal is optional .I add it to make it more healthy and I love spinach and potato combo. That's why the potato is there. You can omit it. You can even try with ginger-garlic paste.The taste will vary. Similarly,instead of garam masala,even sambar powder or any curry powder can be used.The taste will be different but good ofcourse.
spinach_rice

Bon Appetit ,