20 September 2013

Parippu vada/Lentil fritters

parippu_vada


I love travelling in trains, be it long journeys or short ones. Love it. However, I hate AC compartments (in Indian trains) because it makes me feel caged ,literally choked up and everything looks just black & white inside..what you can do there other than sleep or gup-shup/chit chat :-\ instead I like the first class or the second class compartments better as I feel free, enjoying the beautiful sceneries at best (except the toilet though.. eww). You know for me, a simple pleasure of life I would say (especially if I get a window seat & it's not over crowded).

Different kinds of people from different places hop in, to reach different destinations , some busy gossiping, some busy studying, some playing games most likely antakshri, some sleeping , some reading, some staring and some busy eating for example "ME" :D. Ohh yes ! First thing I do (actually still do ) is hurrying up to get a window seat and the second thing ,something to munch,crunch and that will be one happy journey for me.One such snack I remember in Kerala local trains is,"Vada,vadai,parippu vadaaiii" :D ...I don't know why but for me any foods we get in train just tastes yummy even if I might not be a big fan of them .Thank God my parents are not reading this but they know it and their typical reply would be,"Yeah yeah anything not good for her health ,she will just love it" ..and yes I do love them :P though I prefer Uzhunnu vada/Black gram lentil fritters more than Parippu vada. At home I love uzhunnu vada and my brother loves parippu vada and my mom used to be like Facing Problems. But somehow mom would certainly make each one of them any week.My shweet mommaaa....

parippu_vada

Parippu vada is also my better 1/2's favourite (as you can see I hardly got enough vadas (especially the good shaped ones) even to take a proper picture of ). Infact, snacks have the magical power to change my hubby into a happy kid like this Cheerful Dancing Baby(Only the dancing part ok ). Though I love the kid in him, I still resist myself making snacks especially the deep fried ones that often as I end up making a lot and it is too difficult to have just one and consequently not quite healthy.

Small sinful spellful magnets they are !! Ain't they?

parippu_vada


This vada also reminds me my college days when I was ragged by my seniors  and I was asked to demonstrate how these vadas and chais/Teas are sold at train stations or in trains and guess what I without any hesitation ,I was like ,"Vadai vadai parippu vadai,chai chaiyaaaaaaaa" (Credit:Train journey effect) :D which they were like LOLing but then later made me sing as well ,which also I did and after that day during lunch times (that used to be their hunt times for ragging )I used to just hide and vanish in Library room :D....hmmm though at that time felt kinda uncomfortable now those moments are kind of sweet memories to LOL.

On to the recipe, Parippu Vadas are deep fried lentil fritters , a famous crunchy tea time snack of Kerala made up of Toor dal/Chana dal ,onion, chili and ginger mainly.They are available in every tea shops at every nook and corner of Kerala. Quite easy to prepare fresh at home as well. A hot tea and hot vada are just made for each other. A bliss to enjoy together.

This is how I make ,"Parippu vada"

Ingredients

Toor Dal /Yellow pigeon peas- 1 cup
Dry red chili - 2 nos.
(Medium) Onion, chopped - 1no.
Green chilies , chopped - 3-4 nos.
Ginger ,chopped & crushed - 1 1/2-2 teaspoon
Curry leaves, chopped - 1-2 sprigs
Fennel seeds/Perumjeerakam - 1/4 teaspoon (optional)
Asafoetida powder- a pinch
Salt- to taste
Coconut oil/Cooking oil - 2 cup


Preparation method:

  • Clean the toor dal in water properly and soak them in enough water for 1 1/2 hour .
  • Later drain the water completely and grind it with the dry red chilies into a coarse paste without adding water or just a teaspoon of water if it's too dry to grind properly .Do not make it a smooth paste at all,should look like dals were just crushed.
  • Now mix chopped onion, green chilies, ginger, curry leaves, fennel seeds, asafoetida and salt to the above ground mixture. Keep it aside for a few minutes- 10 minutes.
  • Now make small lime sized balls from the mixture and flatten them between your hands (should not be too thick or too thin like medium flat) and keep all of them aside.
  • Heat oil in a pan on high flame .
  • Put a bit/piece of the mixture into the oil, if it starts frying up properly, reduce the flame to medium-low and add the flattened Vadas into the oil without overcrowding it.
  • Deep fry it, flipping it both sides until golden brown or further more to make it extra crispy and then it will look dark brown not burnt though.
  • Remove the fried vadas onto the tissue paper to absorb the excess oil.
  • Enjoy crunchy hot vadas with a hot cup of cha/Tea.
parippu_vada



Bon Appetit,