16 September 2013

Happy Onam 2013 !!


onam_pookalam
Pookalam made by me :)
Today is the most awaited day for every Keralites. Today is the grand festival of God's own country, Kerala ,"Onam". It marks the day of mere celebration - right from the dress Keralites wear, the grand feast they savour, the cultural activities they participate in and thereby the tribute they pay to honor and welcome the special person behind this festival, King Mahabali/Onathappan.

After my wedding I got only one chance to participate in the grand celebration with my family back in India. It is one of the most memorable Onam I ever celebrated in my life as I asked all my relatives to wear only the traditional dress for the day. Though I said just like that I was taken aback when I saw all my relatives clad in the traditional dress after an elaborate feast and ladies all set to do thiruvaathira, Onam special dance. I couldn't believe the spirit they demonstrated :)  and moreover they paid heed to my blah blah words .I felt extremely happy and they also remind me every other Onam thereafter, how memorable I turned once Onam into and that's how we should celebrate it .:).


Myself with my cute little cousins .We were designing a pookalam/flower Rangoli :). Fun , ideas and creativity was totally in the air :)


Finally, each and every flower we plucked turned into a one of a kind art and a colorful beauty ......and that boat is actually the part/trunk of Coconut tree..


Aaand there it is , each & every flower came together to celebrate and became a pookalam/rangoli of flowers in the honor of King Mahabali . Time to spark up the celebration.





My cousins dancing to the tune of Onam....:)

After a grand feast all are clad in the traditional dress of Kerala .Time to tango .. I mean Thiruvaathira dance.
                               











Mom, aunts, cousins and me...now that's the spirit I say:)

Nostalgic :) ...sighhh!!..here in the US, I would invite my friends sometimes or I would make sadya exclusively for my hubby and the cultural programmes by the Kerala samajam here are the only things that remind us it's Onam ..sighhh..sobbb !!! but then "Something is better than nothing" :) ..and let's be thankful to almighty for that :).

So, heres wishing all Malayalees , a very happy, blessed and fun filled Onam .Hope we all will not only enjoy this festival but also remember the message it imparts ,"Unity in diversity, enjoying every moment to the fullest, be happy , compassionate and thankful always and make not only our state but our motherland , India,"God's own country" as well."



Hridyam naranjey Onam Ashamsaggal !!:)

After posting the sadya recipes I usually make for Onam since last few days, today it's time to take a virtual break from posting any recipe and only reminiscing and making more memories.....

Happy Onam once again then,


God bless!